Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon

I am going to neuro opthomologist. My doctor who is sending

Customer Question

I am going to neuro opthomologist. My doctor who is sending me wrote in comments/abnormal: Pachy:OD; 524 (+2) OS (+1) OU: +SPK inf (m/m) OD: +3 NSC OS: +PCIOL C&S OS; +dec fovial reflex Maddox rod: hor 12BO vert 3BD Can you give me an idea what all that stands for
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 6 years ago.

It appears you have strabismus or misalignment of your eyes. You may also have double vision as well. That is the reason for your visit to the neuro-ophthalmologist. For evaluation and treatment of the eye misalignment.

Now for the terms you mentioned:

Pachy measures the thickness of your cornea. This is important for measuring eye pressure. If you have glaucoma, the +2 and +1 means to add 2 points to your measured eye pressure to correct for your thinner than normal cornea.

SPK stands for superficial punctate keratopathy. Suggesting you have dry eyes.

NSC stands for cataract in the right eye. +3 means it is moderate to advance and you may need surgery in the near future. PCIOL stands for the implanted lens in the left eye after the cataract surgery you've already had.

"+dec foveal reflex" means the appearance of the macula is not as flat as normal. Can be normal in older people. Unlikely to mean anything unless your vision is poor without any good explanation.

Maddox rod: 12BO vert 3BD
--> measures how much your eyes are misaligned. The neuro-ophthalmologist will confirm these numers.

Remember to press the green ACCEPT button. It was a pleasure helping you with your question. Best wishes to you. Feel free to ask any additional questions.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Answered my question nicely in a way that a layman could understand - point by point. Very pleased with the response. I was dubious about this site but no longer. Thank you!!
Expert:  Dr. James replied 6 years ago.
You're welcome. Best wishes to you.