Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon

I have just had a field test done and one of my eyes is very

I have just had a field test done and one of my eyes is very patchy. What does this mean?
Over a short period of time my eyesight has deteriorated very rapidly. The optometrist here says that my eyes don't like to work together . What can I do to make them work together. I rely on my eyes quite heavily for my area of expertise Information and Technology. Quite often my eyes turn red like blood vessels have burst or something but then after rest or the like they return to normal. I have marfan's syndrome with no dislocation apparent. I also don't see very well at night I almost can't drive at night as all lights are overbright from oncoming traffic and if it rains in the night while I am trying to drive I can't see a thing.Please help this is very annoying.

Welcome to JA.

Few questions to help me assist you:

Did the doctor tell you how high your eye pressures were?

Which eye is worse with vision?

Double you see double?

Did the doctor mention that you may have glaucoma or damage to you optic nerve?

I await your reply. Thanks.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Sorry for the delay I had not realised you had responded.In regards XXXXX XXXXX eye pressure test he actually said if anthing the pressures were really low not high. I would probably say my right eye is worse with vision but only mention of glaucoma or optic nerve damage just have to repeat the test in 2 months time. I believe the patchy eye was my left eye.I hope this helps.Please let me know if you need any more information.I recall ages ago being admitted to hospital with a very bad headache and they tested my eyes pressures there and said they were extremely high so they ordered me to go see an optometrist as soon as possible. When I did the pressures were normal again.

Thank you for your reply.

It appears that you be a suspect for glaucoma. It is common to see a defect in the visual field test and change in eye pressure with or without significant change in your actual vision. In glaucoma, the nerve that helps you see is damaged due to one or more reasons, including persisting higher than normal eye pressure (greater than 20) for a prolonged period without controlling it. After the first time this occurred, when you had headaches and high eye pressure, the doctors should have follow-up with you closing and monitor eye pressure and visual field. It is often necessary to repeat the visual field test and re-check the eye pressures to confirm or make the diagnosis. After you next test, if the results still show these changes, then the doctor may start you on an eye drop to reduce the pressure a little bit more.

In general, about 20% of the people with glaucoma do not have eye pressure greater than 20, however, it may still be necessary to slightly decrease their eye pressure to about 60-70% of the original value. The cause of the glaucoma in such cases of less than 20 eye pressure may be more of genetic or due to other unknown factors. I suggest that you continue to follow-up with your eye doctor, and feel free to share this discussion with your eye doctor.

It was a pleasure to assist you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.