Dr. JLB, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  General Ophthalmologist, Fellowship trained in Refractive Surgery

lenslike distortion without discoloration in both eyes simultaneously,

lenslike distortion without discoloration in both eyes simultaneously, widening from a central point and wandering to the edges of the visual field in about 30 minutes

Just a couple of questions to help me better evaluate your case:

Was there a headache associated with the episode either during or after the episode?

Do you suffer from any medical conditions?

Are you taking any medications?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no, not at all, happened when I was watching a presentation on a screen in a conference I attended

no, not at all

none whatsoever, I am a 4 to 5 fold per year blood donor

Your description is consistent with an ocular migrane. Ocular migranes can occur suddenly with visual distortions like the ones you experienced. They can be associated with a headache but not in always.

Episodes of hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) can also cause visual symptoms but usually you would feel lightheaded and sweaty, which you did not experience.

There is an entity by the name of TIA (transient ischemic attack) in which the circulation to the eye is compromised by a cholesterol particle that is dislodged from the carotid arteries and travels to the eye to temporarilly occlude a blood vessel. This, however, usually occurs only in one eye and lasts for approximately 5 to 10 minutes. Given your history of good health and the occurence to both eyes simultaneously this condition is unlikely.

Ocular migranes do not have any long term effects although they can significantly interefere with our lives when they occur frequently. If they become associated with a headache then a visit to a neurologist may be indicated to obtain medication that can be administered at the onset of symptoms to then avoid the headache associated with the migrane attack.

I hope this is helpful and feel free to ask any other questions you may have regarding this episode....

Good Bless,

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks Dr JLB,

it is a fact that about once or twice a month I experience a slight dizziness that I know comes with low blood sugar levels and disappears practically immediately when eating a little fructose (I think it's called in english). I had no such dizziness at the time of the occurrence of the phenomenon. I'll be seeing a professional if it reappears, thanks,

Henk van Leeuwen (Customer)

I am glad I could help...