Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon

Hi! My left eye has been twitching for the last month and

Hi! My left eye has been twitching for the last month and a half to two months. What could be causing this? Thanks!
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to JA.

Few questions to assist me in helping you:

Any problem with dry eyes or excessive tearing?

Any recent or past cosmetic injections or treatment? such as Botox or others?

Any recent eye surgery? injury?

Other medical problems?

Taking any medications?

I await your reply. Thanks.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No to all of the above...:-)
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for your reply.

It's likely that you are experiencing temporary ocular myokymic syndrome (twitching/spasm) from irritated cornea or eyelid nerves. I suggest that you use daily drops of preservative free tear drops (i.e. Refresh Plus or Genteal) in the affected 4 times daily for 2-3 weeks. Addition of OTC Zaditor twice daily in between the tears drops will also help any discomfort and fatigue of the left eye muscles. If you are using any other eye drops like visine, stop use. If after 3 weeks, it's not significantly reduced, then I would suggest that you follow-up with your eye doctor for closer evaluation.

It was a pleasure to assist you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.