Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince
25407765

It has been 2 months since my vitrectomy and at my 1st follow-up

It has been 2 months since my vitrectomy and at my 1st follow-up visit the Dr. said things were going fine. I still cannot see with my eye. The Dr. says I have bleeding in background and when it subsides then should be able to see. How long before the bleeding clears and will I regain normal sight or what would be the next option and the expected results?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 4 years ago.

Looks like you have undergone vitrectomy followed by vitreous substitute being given(probably the head positioning was following gas bubble). This is usually done if there is retinal detachment with a large retinal tear. If there is bleeding in the background(occurs in diabetic retinopathy), some where near the macula there will be reduction in the vision which will improve only after the bleeding areas are resolved of the blood. This usually takes 4 to 6 weeks on an average(if large bleed, it may take 6 months or more).

Whether you are going to regain your earlier vision is going to depend on the site, extent, size of the bleed. Peripheral small bleeds resolve well with good results but if there is invovlement of the macula(the central part of retina which is responsible for our vision), visual prognosis is not very good. In such a situation you need to wait and watch for the results and no vigorous intervention would be needed.

I hope your doubts are clarified to your satisfaction.

Please feel free to contact me for any clarifications. Clicking "ACCEPT" button pays me for my work. BONUS and POSITIVE FEED BACK are very much appreciated.

Dr A.S.Desai

These answers are for information purpose only and cannot be substituted for a check-up and visit to an ophthalmologist.

Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
email address nowXXX@XXXXXX.XXX. I did receive your answer and I thank you ver y much for your prompt and informative detail. Thank you.