Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon

Im 29 and have decent vision (OD -1 in each eye, no astigmatism)

Customer Question

I'm 29 and have decent vision (OD -1 in each eye, no astigmatism) and am thinking about LASIK. I went through screening at a few places in town (Bay Area, CA), and was told I'm a good candidate for the procedure. Most of my questions were answered, even through the frustrating upselling and sales pitches. I've still got a couple things they wouldn't speak to, however:

1) How much of the cornea is removed? I ask because, since the procedure doesn't -stop- eye degeneration, I'll foreseeably need (or at least probably want) the procedure done again every 15 or 10 or even 5 years should my eyesight require it. Since the procedure shaves (or evaporates if you prefer) a slice off the cornea every time, I want to verify if the slice is negligible enough that having the procedure now, when it's optional, won't preclude me from getting it when I'm old and might REALLY need it.

2) Why the hell is it still so expensive? It sounds pretty easy to do once the laser is bought.

Thanks much

J
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 4 years ago.

Welcome to JA.

The average cornea thickness is about 550 um. After lifting the cornea surface epithelium (flap) the LASIK with be used to remove about 10 um of cornea stroma thickness for -1 dioper myopia, to give you 20/02 to 20/15 vision. You should have plenty of cornea thickness left for enhancement should you need it again in the future. About the cost, I really cannot advise you on that, but I will encourage you to shop around - the procedure is fairly common these days. Make sure you are not paying for facility overhead cost. I wish you the best.

It was a pleasure to assist you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.

Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience: Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks so much, awesome that you could give a numerical answer. Great that this forum exists. Face to Face I either got hems- and haws- or they switched back to talking about price. Good to get straight info. I'll shop around, best I've found so far is about 1k/ eye.

J
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 4 years ago.

Thank you so much. God bless.

Please, do not press the accept button again, as you already did before.