Dr. PG
Dr. PG, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Ophthalomology)

For the past week, my eyes have been uncomfortable, bordering

For the past week, my eyes have been uncomfortable, bordering on painful, and very sensitive to light. The symptoms are in both eyes, but worse in my left. I have not been able to wear my contacts, but even with my glasses, the symptoms persist. Today, the second I left my house and was exposed to the outdoors (it's not even that sunny, kind of overcast), my eyes became very painful and could barely open. It wasn't that I was keeping them shut of my own free will, but I physically couldn't open my left eye, and my right eye was blinking rapidly. Any at home treatment ideas or should I go see an ophthalmologist in person? (FYI, I had something similar happen almost 10 years ago, but it only lasted a day and then I was perfectly fine. It didn't persist this long. I saw a doctor who couldn't figure it out.)
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. PG replied 6 years ago.

The symptoms that you are describing indicate that either you are having a severe allergic reaction or dryness of eyes (can occur in contact lens wearers). I woul advise you to -

- discontinue using contact lenses for a few days

- change the pair of contact lenses if the symptoms reoccur after you strart using them again

- use lubricating eye drops like genteal/systane/refresh tears and lubricating eye gel like genteal eye gel

- also use anti-allergy eye drops like zaditor.

- apply cold compresses to the eyes

- do not splash water into your eyes.

the above mentioned eye drops are available over the counter. If your symptoms do not improve with the above treatment, then you need to consult an Ophthalmologist for a first hand evaluation.