Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince

I have chronic episcliritis, for the past two years Ive had

I have chronic episcliritis, for the past two years I've had roughly 4 flare-ups a year. In early November I had a bad flare-up and was put on Pred-Forte for the first time, 3x a day for a week, and then was cut down to 2x a day for the past two and a half weeks. After the first week my flare-up was gone and feeling much better. I saw my opthalmologist yesterday who set me up with an appointment to see a specialist in about a month from now. In the meanwhile, he gave me new instructions on how to use the Pred-Forte until I see the specialist. He said that now I will take two drops, three times a week (Monday, Wendsday, Friday) for two weeks, and then cut down to one drop three times a week (Monday, Wendsnday, Friday), and then stop and wait until I see the specialist. I wanted a second opinion if this is the proper way to taper me off Pred-Forte. Again, going from 2x a day everyday, to 2x a day three times a week, and then 1x a day three times a week.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 4 years ago.

The fact that you have responded to Predforte eye drops for your episcleritis it is better to give a maintainance dose and only gradually withdraw the steriod eye drops. The dosage suggested to you till you meet a specialist is correct and you needn't worry about it. Steriod eye drops should always be tapered gradually and not abruptly. So please go ahead with the dosage prescribed to you.

Hope your doubts are clarified.

if it is just a blood vessel on the white of your eye then you need not worry as it does not indicate any major illness or disease in the eye.

If a small blood vessel bleeds in the conjunctiva, it leads to subconjunctival haemorrhage which is a relatively harmless condition and definitely does not indicate any other problem insided the eye. It generally subsides on it's own within 10 to 15 days with or without treatment(better to be left alone).

Unless this is associated with a severe pain in the eye / reduced vision you need not worry.

Dr A.S.Desai

These answers are for information purpose only and cannot be substituted for a check-up and visit to an ophthalmologist.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Dr. Desai,

Thank you. I just want to make sure that the way he is tapering me off them is fine. Should it not be cut down from 2x a day, to once a day everyday and then stop? Here he is making me stop taking it twice a day everyday and turning me to twice a day three times weekly. Also since he is making me take it on Mon/Wen/Fri, that means that on weekends I go 48hrs longer without taking it? Is this not a problem?

Also, in your reply to me, it seems as if you wrote a reply in addition for somebody else's question that I can see here... Just letting you know incase you did not send somebody else their reply.

Please excuse me for this technical error all the sentences below the sentence - Hope your doubts are clarified are erroneous. If you want I shall send you the answer again.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Dr. Desai,

This is one of the methods of tapering steriods - alternate day therapy(used both for oral and topical medications). Predforte(Prednisolone) has a longer duration of action so it is ok to skip on weekends. As far as the dosage is concerned you needn't have any doubts. Please go ahead with the treatment till you meet your specialist.

Dr A.S.Desai

Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince