Dr. Chan
Dr. Chan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified in ophthalmology

I am a 52 yr. old female with ocular histoplasmosis in both

I am a 52 yr. old female with ocular histoplasmosis in both eyes - started losing eyesight at age 24; right eye central vision gone; left eye peripheral vision gone, but central vision 20/20. Condition treated over the years with laser to stop bleeding; however, new doctor gave injection of Avastin (?) directly into area of bleeding. Bleeding eventually cleared up and haven't had a problem for over 2 years. Today at work, I started experiencing quick, bright lightning streaks of light in my right eye that progressively got worse. When bright lights stop for short periods of time, they are replaced by something that is hard to describe, but is somehing similar to a vague shadowy spider-web. I know this sounds crazy, but I don't think I'm hallucinating. :) I had no time to call my ophthalmologist and now of course, the eye center is closed. Any help would be appreciated. I will call my doctor first thing from work tomorrow. Do I need to worry about this tonight? Thank you!

Although recurrence of Histo is a possibilty, it sounds like you are experiencing what is called a posterior vitreous detachment. There is a gel inside your eye that breaks up as you age. This causes you to see shadowy floaters and cobwebs. Along with this, many will see flashing of lights (as the gel tugs on the retina) as well. This all will eventually subside without causing any harm to the eye. Of course, it would be prudent to have your eyes checked to make sure the retina is OK (and to make sure that the Histo is not reactivated). This can be done tomorrow.

I hope this helps and thank you.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for your thourough explanation. I am very relieved.
You are welcome. Good luck