Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon

Six weeks ago I had a standard catarract removal and now have

Six weeks ago I had a standard catarract removal and now have not recovered my vision and need further surgery for Macular traction., Is this a result of the catarract procedure?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 6 years ago.

Were there any complications with the surgery?
What eye drops are you currently using?
Has your vision improved since the surgery?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No complications from the surgery. Currently using Omnipred drops and have been using then continuously since being post op. Also used Zymar drops before and after surgery. Vision has not improved and has even gotten worse with distortion in the effected eye.
Expert:  Dr. James replied 6 years ago.
There are many changes that takes place after surgery. When your natural lens is removed, it is repacled with a much thinner plastic lens. There is a gel behind the lens which and shift forward because of the thinner lens. The gel is also connected to the macular and thus causing the traction.

In most people, the gel (vitreous) separates completely from the macula. Unfortunately, that has not been the case for you. The surgery will attempt to release all the traction connecting the vitreous gel to the macula.

To answer your question directly, the macular traction is likely the result of the cataract. The complication, however, was likely unavoidable if it was an uncomplicated surgery. It is difficult to predict who will have problems. In most people by 72 years of age, the vitreous gel tends not to be firmly attached to the macula.

Remember to press the green ACCEPT button. It was a pleasure helping you with your question. Best wishes to you. Feel free to ask any additional questions.