Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince
25407765

I have had swollen lacrimal (tear) glands bilaterial for the

I have had swollen lacrimal (tear) glands bilaterial for the past month. I finished accutane and doctors think it is playing a role in the dryness and swelling of my eyes. I just started taking Alrex for my dry, red eyes. I also use artificial tears 4-6 times a day. My eye doctor just prescribed Prednisone to see if it helps. Do you think Prednisone will help this? Or could it make my eyes dryer? My eyelids have been puffy for a month now, they haven't gotten worse since finishing accutane but really haven't improved much either. The swelling is mostly near my outer eyelid portion (near my ears) on both eyes.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 4 years ago.
Hello

In what form are you taking prednisolone - oral tablets or eye drops?

A course of oral prednisolone is usually tried in case chronic dacryoadenitis(lacrimal gland inflammation). For dry eyes you need to continue artificial tears(which you are already taking).

dacryoadenitis can also lead to dry eyes(should rule out systemic disease like sarcoidosis).

A course of oral prednisolone should definitely be tried without the fear of it precipitating the dry eyes.

Dr A.S.Desai

These answers are for information purpose only and cannot be substituted for a check-up and visit to an ophthalmologist.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

What role do you think the accutane is playing? This all started as I was finishing five months of accutane. The dry eyes and puffy eyelids have been going on for a month now. Will it eventually get better as my body flushes out the accutane?

The prednisone is a oral tablet but I haven't filled the prescription yet. Should I be nervous at all?

Were you being given accutane for treatment of acne or something else?

Anyways the dry eyes and puffy eye lids along with swelling on the outer aspect of your eyes may not be due to accutane per se. Do not be nervous and go ahead with oral prednisolone(which can bring down the inflammation due to your lacrimal glands).

Please continue the treatment for dry eyes with artificial tears.

Dr A.S.Desai

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am ready to accept your answer and I thank you for the response!

One more question, is it possible to bring down the swelling of the lacrimal gland only to have it go right back up? The prednisone is a dosepak tapered for 7 days. I believe he said something like 60mg but I'm not 100% sure.

Thank you for replying.

If prednisolone is effective the swelling will definitely reduce and the lacrimal gland will be normal like before. Prednisolone is given orally in the dose of 1 mg/ per kg body weight and it is always tapered down slowly(it cannot be abruptly stopped) so the dosage calculated for you seems to be ok(assuming you weigh some where around 60 kgs).

I hope your doubts are clarified.

Dr A.S.Desai

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am an active male, 6'0, 225 lbs. So if it is 60mg for 7 days, that seems to weak?

I also took the accutane for acne, which is completely gone!

As far as the dosage of prednisolone is concerned for your weight you would ideally need 100 mg in divided doses per day(it is available as 10 and 20 mg tablet). I am sure your ophthalmologist will calculate the dosage and give accordingly. Kindly visit your ophthalmologist and clarify your dosage.

thanks.

Dr A.S.Desai

Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince