Dr.S Riaz
Dr.S Riaz, Ophthalmologist

Hi is there really a form of non-contagious allergic conjunctivitis

Hi is there really a form of non-contagious allergic conjunctivitis that can be determined by a pediatrician looking at the child's eye. I am the director of a daycare center and sent a child home with yellow mucus coming from his eyes and one was very inflamed. He returned today with both eyes red and a dr.s notes saying he could return. The dr. called it non-contagious allergic conjuntivitis

Hello Customer,

Allergic conjunctivitis is non contagious only. Conjunctivitis may be infective or allergic. Allergic is non-infective. Allergic conjuctivitis can cause discharge but usually that is ropy or clear water like. Itching is commonly associated with it. If the diagnosis is in doubt, it is better to see an ophthalmologist. I hope it helps.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you doctor, the eye was thick with yellow mucus yesterday and both eyes are red and more yellow mucus is coming out. I wish to send the child home but the parent is protesting. I feel that according to what you say here about the discharge this case is not allergic

You are most welcome. Yellow discharge is more in favour of muco-purulent discharge seen in infective conjunctivitis which is certainly infectious. I would recommend an examination by an ophthalmologist. Thanks.