Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince
25407765

I have a very sore eye. It is bloodshot. The upper eyelid

I have a very sore eye. It is bloodshot. The upper eyelid is very sore and feels very gritty.. It is not weeping. i have a heaadache on that side of the head. Also, I have about 5 little red spots in the hairline above the eye which are sore.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 4 years ago.

Just need few clarifications.

1) Do you mean you have small vesicles near your hair line
above the eye?

2) Do you have eye pain?
3) Are you having any skin lesions around that eye?

Dr A.S.Desai

These answers are for information purpose only and cannot be substituted for a check-up and visit to an ophthalmologist.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

1) Just slightly above the hairline

2) No eye pain

3) No skin lesions around the eye

Thanks for replying.

There are a few conditions where you get bloodshot red eyes. As you don't have eye pain or watering in that eye it kind of rules out any corneal lesion. Some times subtle trauma, excessive coughing / sneezing could lead to subconjunctival haemorrhage. This condition is relatively harmless and subsides on it's own within 10 to 15 days. Kindly confirm the above by a visit to your ophthalmologist(by a slit lamp examination).

Just asked for skin lesions to rule out any herpetic lesions(herpes virus). Unlikely as you do not have any skin lesions.

Dr A.S.Desai

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Can you explain the very sore inner lid.

I have been using the cream chloramphenicol 1.0%

since yesterday 12pm 4times since that time. Should I see some improvement now. There has been none so far.

If the inner lid is hurting / discomfort in the eye, we need to rule out acute conjunctivitis(but it is associated with watering and discharge). If the area which is hurting is pin point then we have to rule out a hordeolum internum(like a small pustule). If you are using choramphenicol eye ointment it may not give much relief(it is a broad spectrum antibiotic). For hordeolum you need to give hot fomentation along with oral analgesics and oral antibiotics.

I hope I have been able to clarify your doubts to your satisfaction.

Dr A.S.Desai

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have a small pistule in the other eye which is dormant & doesn't flare up. If there is a pistule in the infected eye how would I know and what should I do

If the pustule in the other eye which is dormant and doesn't flare up it can be left alone. If there is a pustule in the infected eye there will be pin point tenderness(it will hurt when you press that area over the lid). The treatment for this would be hot fomentation, oral analgesics and oral antibiotic. Instead of chloramphenicol eye ointment, Gatifloxacin eye ointment would be better.

Dr A.S.Desai

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I also feel generally unwell. I am normally an extremely fit person so this has knocked me for six.

Thankyou for your advice. I will visit my GP again if there is no improvement in a day & get referral to a opthalmologist. yjis is so debilitating. The ointment you prescribe is it over the counter or do I have to get a prescription

Thanks for replying

This is a prescription drug and will not be available over the counter.

Do visit your GP and get a referral to ophthalmologist for confirmation.

Get well soon.

Dr A.S.Desai

Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince