Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist
8112280

I am a 57 y.o. male with normal vision, absolutely no abnormalities

I am a 57 y.o. male with normal vision, absolutely no abnormalities until at 53 i've got an avirgence problem. let me specifically describe it. when i look straight ahead or to the left, i have perfect single vision. when i look to the right, one eyes (my left) begins to drop causing a double vision situation. also i can look straignt ahead and relax my eyes and i can get my eyes to see separately. but then i can voluntarily make them see normal. my question is their anything i can do regarding nutrition, eye exercises or whatever to correct or improve this problem? can you suggest anything i can read to better understand this problem?

Hello there

what you have is called a heterophoria that is decompensating. That is the mechanism that keeps your eyes aligned is becoming less effective, especially in times of fatigue or inattention. There is not much you can do that has been proven to be effective. Sometimes the condition can worsen requiring prisms in glasses or even strabismus surgery. As far as learning more, you can do a search for decompensated heterophoria and many different sites come up and you can read more about it, I wish you well, Dr. Stevens