Dr. Chan
Dr. Chan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified in ophthalmology

Hello. Last week I had severe eye pain in my left eye... I

Hello. Last week I had severe eye pain in my left eye... I coughed it up to bad make up and flushed my eye with water, my eye lid swelled up and after about 2 days it went away. TOnight out of nowhere my right eye has the same pain that my left eye just had last week, the best way to explain is it feels like I've been punches... there is no redness but it is very itchy!

It sounds like you are experiencing allergies and/or sinus. The simplest thing to do is to use some cool compresses over the lids. You can also try over-the-counter allergy meds. If this doesn't help, you may need prescription allergy drops as well. Finally, as a last resort, we sometimes will use steroids medications.

I hope this helps and thank you.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you Dr. Chan... My eye doctor last year asked me if my eyes bothered me a lot because he thought my eyes were easily irritated... I told him I didn't have eye problems, now all of a sudden I do. About two months ago I had a severe sinus infection and had to get perscription medicines to drain my sinuses, when I was 10 I had tubes put in my ears and my adnoids removed.... So I think it makes sense. This year has been espcially bad on my allergies. The eye is very painful, I will try the cold compresses. Thank You for your response.
You're welcome. Good luck.