Dr. Chan
Dr. Chan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified in ophthalmology
17282639

diagnosed with an eye abrasion about 2 years..OTC eye drop (Genteal)

I was diagnosed with an eye abrasion about 2 years ago. Since that time, it re-occurs every six weeks or so. I'm currently using OTC eye drop (Genteal) and either Genteal PM or Bausch & Lomb ointment at night. Generally, the tearing stops about mid - day.

Today, I'm applying a cold compress to my eye as it always irritates the area below my eye turning it red and inflamed. In addition to helping the itching and 'something in my eye' feeling. (I assure people it isn't 'pink eye.') Also, I'm using additional eye drops and ointment.

My ophthalmologist states I'm doing the correct things. Is there anything else I can do as his office will not be open until in the morning when the worst will be over???

Thanks!
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Chan replied 7 years ago.

HelloCustomer

It sounds like you are suffering from recurrent erosion. The worst time is usually when you first wake up - the lid can peel off the skin that is trying to heal. The best thing is to goop your eye up very well with lots of ointment prior to sleep. There is nothing else to be done this weekend. However, you may want to speak with your ophthalmologist tomorrow about more long-term solutions, such as: debridement, or micropuncture, or laser PTK.

I hope this helps and thank you.