Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist
8112280

Hello doctor, my eyes are are red since last two years, I did

Hello doctor, my eyes are are red since last two years, I did not take any medicine so far, if I stay in place where cold wind breeze is high, I m losing redness in eye, becoming white slightly, whenever I wake up, it is red.

can you tell me how to cure this..?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stevens replied 7 years ago.
is there any crusting ? do they hurt, burn itch? have you tried any drops at all ?
I noticed you had posted this same question in another thread and had replied. based on your symptoms getting worse when you sleep, it sounds like you have blepharitis which is typically a chronic low grade infection. Blepharitis is an infection of the lids and lashes. Common findings in someone with blepharitis can range from subtle collections of yellow colored debris or flakes on the lashes to not so subtle crusting, clumping on lashes, red eyelid borders with thickening of the lids and oil gland orifices. This is a main risk factor for developing infections in the oil glands which end up becoming styes (we call them hordeolum).

The treatment consists of 3 things and must be done consistently for effective control and cure.

First, you take a warm wash cloth or warm compress and lay it across your lids for 5 minutes (heat must be applied for 5 mins). This helps the oil glands get moving again and helps loosen up the debris on the lashes.

Next you take some baby shampoo and mix it with water (50/50) and use a wash cloth to rub across and cleanse the skin and lashes. This helps remove the debris.

Last, you apply antibiotic ointment, like erythromycin ophthalmic ointment to the base of the lashes.

This regimen helps get rid of or control the infection in about 2 weeks. You may try this without the antibiotic ointment first, but may need to talk to your doctor for a prescription for the erythromycin ophthalmic ointment if your symptoms do not resolve fully.

I hope this helps, this condition is a nuisance for many people and until the diagnosis is made, it can lead to lots of irritation and redness.

I wish you well, Dr. Stevens