Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist

Woke up with what appears to be a red blister in on my eye.

Woke up with what appears to be a red blister in on my eye. Should I go to the emergency room.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stevens replied 6 years ago.
Where exactly is it? how is your vision ?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

On the white of the eye between iris corner of the eye close to the nose. Yesterday it was clear. this morning it is very red. Itchy

Hello there

You have what we refer to as a subconjunctival hemorrhage. While its appearance can be alarming, it isn't a serious problem. It happens when a blood vessel in the conjunctiva (the white part of the eye) breaks and releases blood. This often tends to occur after frequent sneezing, coughing, straining, after rubbing the eye or for no apparent reason. It tends to happen more frequently in people who have high blood pressure or you use blood thinning medicines, such as asprin, motrin, plavix, vitamin e, coumadin, among others. It also tends to happen more when people have some redness in the eyes to begin with (blood vessels are already dilated). The blood will be resorbed into the body within a week or so. There is nothing you can do to make it go away sooner. Often, there is a sensation of the eye feeling slightly full, mild scratchiness or a pressure sensation and using artificial tears can help with this symptom. I hope you find this helpful, I wish you well, and do not hesitate to ask any further questions, Regards XXXXX XXXXX

This link has a picture of a very small hemorrhage