Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist

Dear Doctor, I was operated from cataract last week and all

Dear Doctor,
I was operated from cataract last week and all went well. Yesterday my eye Doctor checked and said it looks fine and it is healing beautiful. Today I had a back massage at 12.00 and now at 6.00pm I see a small patch of blood in the corner of my eye. Ny eye Dr. left last night for a conference and at this time all other eye specialists offices here are closed. Please advise me what to do?

Hello there

where exactly is the blood? on the white portion of the eye (we call sclera) ? is there any increase pain ? is there any vision changes ?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes, the white portion in the right corner of my right eye. no pain and no change in vision, only very dry. I am using 3 drop a day of TOBRADEX and natural tears. I had 4 drops during the first week and was doing really fine.

Hi Millicent

You have what we refer to as a subconjunctival hemorrhage. While its appearance can be alarming, it isn't a serious problem. It happens when a blood vessel in the conjunctiva (the white part of the eye) breaks and releases blood. This often tends to occur after frequent sneezing, coughing, straining, after rubbing the eye or for no apparent reason. Your recent massages may have contributed to its formation. It tends to happen more frequently in people who have high blood pressure or you use blood thinning medicines, such as asprin, motrin, plavix, vitamin e, coumadin, among others. It also tends to happen more when people have some redness in the eyes to begin with (blood vessels are already dilated). The blood will be resorbed into the body within a week or so. There is nothing you can do to make it go away sooner. Often, there is a sensation of the eye feeling slightly full, mild scratchiness or a pressure sensation and using artificial tears can help with this symptom. I hope you find this helpful, I wish you well, and do not hesitate to ask any further questions, Regards XXXXX

This link has a picture of a very small hemorrhage

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
should I also continue the trobadex drops against infections? I assume i have to right?
Absolutely, continue them as prescribed, typically we will have you either use until finished or taper the drops slowly. Do whatever you were instructed before, the hemorrhage makes no difference in the management of the drops, Dr. Stevens
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Dr. Stevens,

Thanks. You have been a great help. I can relax now and not worry until the morning. Maybe just maybe I will let an eye specialist look at my beautiful eye tomorrow.

That is reasonable as well, Regards XXXXX