Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

My mother has been diagnosed with bleeding behind the retina

My mother has been diagnosed with bleeding behind the retina and been told nothing can be done about it. We are waiting for blood results and we have been told she may loose her sight. She is in her 60's and healthy. Please could you let me know any information on this and will she loose her sight?

Kind regards
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 4 years ago.

Was she seen by a retina specialist?
What was the diagnosis? Macula degeneration, CRVO, Diabetes?
When is scheduled to be seen again?
What blood work was ordered?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes she was seen by a retina specialist at The Nuffield in Newcastle upon Tyne.

From what I know they did not get a diagnosis but said one eye is fine but the other is not and she may eventually loose her sight in the one eye. Laser treatment has not been recommended. They said it would stay the same, get worse and she would eventually loose her sight. She is not know to have diabetes but waiting for blood results to come back from the local hospital which will take another three weeks. She has just been informed not to do any vigourous exercise.

She will go in three weeks to get her blood results.

Expert:  Dr. James replied 4 years ago.
The most common cause of bleeding behind the eye is diabetes. Wet macular degeneration is also another possibility. A CRVO (central retinal vein occlusion) can cause massive bleeding bleeding in the retina. This is caused by a blood clot in the central retinal vein. These three disease look very different from each other and usually are readily apparent, especially if the vision is affected in that eye. The visual prognosis and treatment options are different.

My guess would be wet macula degeneration. There are injections available for it. It is possible that the bleeding is bad enough that the retina specialist felt the benefits are limited. It is unusual however for a doctor to say nothing can be done in the situation you described.

I would recommend calling the clinic again to get the specific diagnosis.

Remember to press the green ACCEPT button. It was a pleasure helping you with your question. Best wishes to you. Feel free to ask any additional questions.
Experience: Eye Physician and Surgeon
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hello

As you will recall I emailed regarding my mothers eye. I have more information and she has been diagnosed with

"right centre retnal vein occlusion" and will wait two weeks for blood results. We would like to know what is the prognosis of this. Can any thing be done? Laser treatment etc and will her eye deteriorate and will she loose her sight?

Hope you will be able to give me some more information. Her right eye is fine (they checked this out) but is panicking her other eye may get affected? No known cause of diabetes.

Regards

J Stokes

Expert:  Dr. James replied 4 years ago.
Hello again,

Do you know the level of her vision in that right eye currently?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Apparently when seen by her consultant they said her right eye is fine and can see no problems with this eye. I think she is having anxiety attacks thinking her right eye is going deteriorate too.

We just need to now can anything be done or will her left eye deteriorate and we are not sure of time scale or does this just depend on person to person

Expert:  Dr. James replied 4 years ago.
The blood supply to the retina is unique in that there is only one entrance and one exit. A central retinal vein occlusion is thought to be caused by a clot/blockage at that exit. The blood backs up in the blood vessels and can leak out.

If their is total occlusion, then the bleeding can be severe and vision very poor. In some cases, the blockage can be partial with only limited bleeding and limited effects on vision. In your mother's case, since the vision is only slightly affected, then treatment is observation to allow for the clot to clear. There can be complications of a CRVO such as retinal inflammation or glaucoma. In those cases, lasers or medicines can help.

Since the consultant feels the right eye is fine, then it might have only been a mild blockage. Make sure she keeps her followup appointments to monitor for complications.

I wish her the best.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thank you for that information
Expert:  Dr. James replied 4 years ago.
You're welcome.
Experience: Eye Physician and Surgeon
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Is there any treatment for this? She is keen to have surgery. She has been told that there is no treatment just laser treatment if eye becomes painful. I know eye injections is an option but can these really help for CRVO? Also what can she do to prevent her eye condition getting worse.

Also can you recommend any anti depressants? She has taken 3 lots from the doctors and they have all affected her eye by making them abit blury. She is pannicking that this will happen to her other eye but been told thats just a slim chance.

Any information would be appreciated.

Thank you (UK)

Expert:  Dr. James replied 4 years ago.

Dr. Dansingani has written a very thorough answer to your other question. Click on the link below to see his answer. It is a very thorough answer and I agree with his statements. Please remember to press accept if his answer was been helpful.

http://www.justanswer.com/questions/32h7z-my-mother-has-been-diagnosed-with-central-retina-vein-occlusion

Edited by Dr. James on 1/27/2010 at 10:19 PM EST