Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon

i just got hot oil in my eye, it hurts, but not excessively,

i just got hot oil in my eye, it hurts, but not excessively, I put some ice on my eye lid and flushed it very briefly, it hurt worse with water. Im wondering if I should go to a medical center
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 6 years ago.

I recommend you visit an eye doctor (optometrist or ophthalmologist if possible). If not, then an urgent care or ER should suffice. You should rinse your eyes out and lubricate your eyes liberally with eye ointment in the meantime. The doctor will be able to assess the extent of the damage from the hot oil. If the damage is extensive, he may prescribe an antibiotic eye drop to prevent infection.

Remember to press the green ACCEPT button. It was a pleasure helping you with your question. Best wishes to you. Feel free to ask any additional questions.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
can I wait until tommarow?
Expert:  Dr. James replied 6 years ago.
It is difficult to say since I cannot assess the extent of the damage. The safer bet is to have a doctor look at it.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
im really not able to go tonight, will there be any permanent damage the longer I wait, is there anything I can do in the mean time? more importantly is there anything I shouldnt do?
Expert:  Dr. James replied 6 years ago.
The most important thing to do is lubricate the eyes to allow it to heal. Use only ointments specific for eyes which can be found in any supermarket or pharmacy.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

just moisturizing drops, like ones people use for contacts, how often should I put them in? I'm sorry for so many questions

Expert:  Dr. James replied 6 years ago.
I would recommend the thicker lubricating ointments. It may blur your vision, but will coat the eyes well. Use it every 2-3 hours to ensure there is ointment in there at all times.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

ok, thank you very much! you put my mind at ease.

God bless

Expert:  Dr. James replied 6 years ago.
You're welcome. Best wishes.