Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist

I have glaucoma & diabetes. Is it safe to use slow-release

I have glaucoma & diabetes.

Is it safe to use slow-release niacin (500 mg.) & folic acid to address cholestrol issues?

Is this dosage of niacin likely to be effective? If I take this, what tests should I ask doctor to perform to check that no problem results from supplements.

Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stevens replied 6 years ago.

hello there

how long have you had glaucoma and has it required laser surgery, such as peripheral iridotomy ?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I was diagnosed 3 years ago. i have not needed surgery. i am treating it with Travatan Z drops. there doesn't appear to be much vision loss since treatment begun (and very little then).

thanks for the reply. Niacin and folic acid supplements are considered safe for folks with primary open angle glaucoma, that is the kind you most likely have. It is something that will take several weeks to have effect. Niacin is notorious for causing flushin of your skin so beware. You may have liver function tests done to make sure the supplements are not affecting the liver, I wish you well, Dr. Stevens