Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon
25472284

I have what I thought was a sty in the corner of my eye and

I have what I thought was a sty in the corner of my eye and over the last 4 days has become swollen, red,itchy and has migrated to inflamation on my nose beside my infected eye. It is watery and the small bb size "sty" is still there. I tried hot compress in case it was a calazion. I have had one of those before. This seems to have made it worse. It waters but does not seem to be infected.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 4 years ago.

Any problem with vision?

Any discharge?

Have you had this problem before?

Which eye?

Any medical problem?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Other than not being able to wear my glasses on my nose because it is tender, my vision does not seem affected. The only discharge is just clear watery on occassion. Have never had this problem before, however I do seem to be prone to stys and calazions and infected hair follicles. It is in my right eye, but I have today noticed my left eye has been watering and burning. I have controlled high blood pressure and a thyroid problem. ( I take synthroid)
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 4 years ago.

It's likely that you have infected eye, from conjunctiva to carnuncle/punctum and now complicated by nasolacrimal duct infection with possible blockage. This means that an infection that started in the eye has extended into the drainage system that goes through the nose. This probably has also caused blockage (partial or complete) of the nasolacrimal duct. At this time you need your eye doctor the evaluate your nasolacrimal system, and start you on antibiotics oral (keflex or doxycycline for 14 days) and drops (vigamox or tobramycin eye drops). You will still need to continue hot/warm compresses especially on the nasal ridge. At the end of antibiotics and after the inflammation settles down, if you continue to tear and/or have discharge, the more aggressive approach will be used. The sooner you get started on antibiotics the faster this will resolve.

I hope this information will help you. Please click the ACCEPT button for the advise. Thank you so much. I trust will do well.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.

Edited by Dr. Stan on 11/11/2009 at 10:58 PM EST
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience: Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon