Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

Hello, I have been experiencing certain issue with my eyes

I have been experiencing certain issue with my eyes since sometime now. When I am tired/stressed or usually after taking head bath in the morning, I feel some pressure between and above my eyes and the eyes feel extremely heavy, as if they want to close, I usually complain "I feel as if my eyes are closing", In past my eyes used to get red and used to feel heavy, eye doctor gave artificial tears and it used to help right away, but now it does not help, also now, that heaviness in eyes almost carry an intense feeling as if I should sleep right away. I never used to feel this way and I am not sure what should be the started point for the diagnosis of this ailment.. I have heard people saying to me "you seem to be very tired" couple of times already...

Please tell if this is something common or if not what should I do?

Thanks,
Sam.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.
Hello Sam,

Dry eyes can cause a sensation of heaviness in your eyelids and feeling sleepy as well. You likely have had it for some time now. If the problem is mild, then intermittent artificial tears are all that is needed. Your dry eyes have seem to have progressed where you may need more treatment.

I recommend you continue using the artificial tears 4-6 times a day. For further relief, you may consider punctal plugs which helps limit the tears from draining into your nose. I'd recommend you see an eye doctor for evaluation who can confirm dry eyes.

Remember to press the green ACCEPT button. It was a pleasure helping you with your question. Best wishes to you. Feel free to ask any additional questions.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks Doctor, just as a test I put some artificial tears and I feel better now, truely seems that dry eyes have gone worse, now I can go to the eye doctor to have it confirmed, I was getting nervous if it is some kind of head issue... One more thing, can I put some milk into my eyes before I sleep to induce some greasiness as a temp fix?

Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.
I don't recommend using milk or other lubricants not made for the eyes. They can be too harsh for the sensitive tissues of the eyes. There are thicker artifical tears and ointments that you can use before bedtime -- brands such as lacrilube or genteal.

Please remember to press accept if my answer was helpful.