Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

My husband had lasic surgery (mono vision) 8 years ago and

Customer Question

My husband had lasic surgery (mono vision) 8 years ago and now had to have cataract removed. First lens was put in as a close up vision. He was able to read only at a very close range, could not read stuff from a normal distance on a computer monitor. Doctor ordered another lens to be inserted on top of the first one. The night after the lens was inserted the pressure in the eye became extremely high. He was prescribed drops to keep the pupil dilated for a week. The doctor said that my husband's yes was small and the lens too big. How is this possible, we paid for all kind of measurements. Week later the doctor tried to "tap in" the new lens. NOw the lens is in sideways. My husband can not see or read at all. Is there a way to correct this? Can these lenses be removed and correct size inserted? What could be done, please we need some answers. Thank You.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.

Is it correct that he has TWO lens implanted in his eyes, one on top of the other?
Was there a reason why another was implanted instead it being removed and replaced with another?
When was the cataract surgery?
What drops is he currently using?

Edited by Dr. James on 11/10/2009 at 3:52 AM EST
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes, two lenses one on top of another. The first lens was cleaned by the laser but it did not help. We were told that the removal of the lens was not possible any more.

This was the eye for the close up (reading) the other eye was for distance and the doctor said it will correct the extreme close up of that eye.

The first surgery was in the middle of August. The second lens was put in October 21st.
Drop: TOBRADEX and VOLTAREN.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have to correct one information. The first cataract surgery was done May 20, 09 the August one was a follow up. Sorry.
Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.
Having two implanted lens in the eye is not common, but not unheard of either. Since I don't know of the particulars of the powers and location of the lenses, it difficult to comment on what might have gone wrong. Removing the lenses is a possibility, but would require an experienced surgeon.

Regarding the increased pressure and pain, that can sometimes happen after the surgery. If those issues are resolved already, then lens removal is not as urgent. Regarding the vision, there are multiple reasons it can be off. First, the prescription can be off. Second, there can be cloudiness between the two lenses. Thirdly, there may also be retinal inflammation.

These questions can only be answer by an exam. If possible, I'd recommend you see another ophthalmologist for a second opinion as to why the vision is not on target at this time. This will help you decide if removing the lenses would be helpful.

Remember to press the green ACCEPT button. It was a pleasure helping you with your question. Best wishes to you. Feel free to ask any additional questions.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
If they can remove the lenses will my husband be able to see through that eye again. What needs to happen for him to be able to use his eye again? How can we make sure the surgeon will be experienced in the procedure, are there stats to be obtain somewhere?
Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.
It depends on the reason he cannot see. If it is because the lens power is off or if the lens is positioned the wrong way, then removing it and inserting the correct power should allow him to see again.

Unfortunately, there are no statistics on these type of surgeries. You can base the experience of the surgeon on his training and reputation from other doctors. It would be difficult to ask your current doctor for a referral. You may have to check with your primary care doctor to look around. Most doctors who has done additional training in cornea or refractive surgery will have had more experience in these types of cases.