Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

I been having very itchy eye since Feb. It is very itchy near

I been having very itchy eye since Feb. It is very itchy near teardrop inside of both my eye and sometime would become very red. Been to eye doc. He prescribed me Lotemax for couple of days along with Pataday. For fifteen days I would feel better, but symptomps comes back again. I change my eye doc and she prescribed me same medicine, aslo suggested to use lidscrub and some atrificial tears(preservative free). I been using it almost two weeks and the symptoms are still the same. Pataday makes my eyes itchy in the morning and red. I use to wear contact lens but not wearing it almost a month. I wear acuvue oyasys and use optifree solutions.

My eyes itchiness are unberable. Please advice.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.

When did the itchiness begin?
Any relief over the last month when not using the Oasys?
Do you have any mucous discharge?
Do you have any allergies?
How old are you?

Edited by Dr. James on 11/9/2009 at 7:40 PM EST
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I been having this problem since Feb. After using the medication I would feel better for 15 days but then the symptomps come back. No I do not feel any difference when not using the Oasys.

I do get mucus discharge in the morning.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I did allergy test and doctor tols me I am allergies to birch. I am 27 yrs old.
Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.
It appears you have chronic allergic conjunctivitis. The best treatment is to avoid the specific allergen, however, that may not be possible in all cases. The steroids help to decrease the inflammation and allergic reaction, but symptoms can restart if the medication is stopped. It is not recommended to use corticosteroid eye drops for a prolonged period of time.

It is helpful that you've had allergy testing already. Also, think about what changes in your environment (work and home) that started around February that could be other potential sources of allergies (indoor plants, pets, detergents...).

Treatment is based on the severity of the symptoms. Chilled artificial tears can be very helpful. Steroids as you already know are helpful, but not recommended to be used long term. The Patanol you are using is an antihistamine and mast cell stabilizer which will help to prevent exacerbations. This medication works if when used consistently. You can also try an NSAID drop (similar to Ibuprofen). You can also ask you allergist to see if desensitization treatment is an option.

Here is a good website that gives you an overview of chronic allergic conjuncitivitis.

http://www.
uveitis.org/medical/articles/case/Allergy.html

Remember to press the green ACCEPT button. It was a pleasure helping you with your question. Best wishes to you. Feel free to ask any additional questions.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I still have the itchiness what should I do?
Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.
What eye drops are you currently using?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

only Pataday once at night time. I had stopped Lotemax as doc told me to stop in two weeks. Using Lidscrub to clean the eye and also using artificial tears.

It was gone for week and came back again.

Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.
You may consider an over the counter allergy pill to augment the Pataday.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

could you please suggest some over the counter medicine.

May be claritin or benadryl?

Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.
Yes, those should be fine. When taking these medicines, beware it can cause drowsiness, so plan your activities accordingly. Some brands come in non-drowsy as well.