Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon

I recently had a sinus infection that was treated with antibiotics

I recently had a sinus infection that was treated with antibiotics and seemed to have gotten better. One of the systems of the infection was burning and itchy eyes along with sinus pressure. It has not gone away and seems to get worse on certain days.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 6 years ago.

The eye tear duct drains into the nose, so it is not uncommon to have sinus problems spill over to the eyes as well. The itchiness and burning can be an sign of allergies. You can try over the counter anti-histamine eye drops such as Zatidor. Use that as directed and supplement with artificial tears to help soothe the eyes. If that does not help, you can see your eye doctor who can prescribe a steroid eye drop which is much stronger than over the counter medications.

If you have significant thick discharge from your eyes, that can be a sign of an eye infection that may benefit from antibiotics. In that case, see your eye doctor sooner.

Remember to press the green ACCEPT button. It was a pleasure helping you with your question. Best wishes to you. Feel free to ask any additional questions.