Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

Red eye with severe pain in my left eye, please help me. I

Customer Question

Res eye with severe pain in my left eye, please help me. I don't have a insurance because of the jobloss. Looking for a new job now.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 5 years ago.

Hello Customer,

I am willing to help you. Please, describe your problem in greater detail. Thanks.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Good Morning Dr.Shariq

I have been having pain and redness in my left eye from last 7 days and it is hurting me severely.

I don't have a health insurance right now so not able to visit a Ophthalmologists.

I have used couple of OTC eye drops which takes the redness away but the pain is not going away.

sometimes the pain comes from left edge of the eye and spreads all across and it goes away after a while after few drops of tears.

usually I feel the pain in the evenings and while looking at the computer screen etc..

Some times I feel the pain even when my eyes are closed.

i would really appreciate your help.

Best Regards,
-Gaj
Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 5 years ago.
I will definitely try to help you. Could you send me a photo of your eye?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hello Dr. Shariq

Uploaded few pics of my eyes in different view.

please have a look at them at http://superstarsmarketing.com/personal

Looking forward to hear back from you with a solution.

Best Regards,
-Gaj
Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 5 years ago.
Could you please attach the photos to this post itself. I am not able to view them from the link provided. Thanks.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hello Dr.

This site doesn't allow me to attach pictures as a part of the reply box. Please let me know an email address where I can send my pics.

Looking forward to hear back from you.

Thanks,
-Gaj

P.S: I just verified , the link seems to be working for me. just visit the link http://www.superstarsmarketing.com/personal and it will take you to a folder and you will see 4 pictures uploaded to the dorectory, you can right click and save as to the local disk and view them.
Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 5 years ago.

Yes, I have seen your eyes. From the photos, it looks as if you have developed episcleritis/scleritis. You need to use a steroid eye drop like Prednisolone Acetate 4 times a day. When you get relief it needs to be tapered gradually. Since, prednisolone acetate can cause complications like glaucoma, cataract etc, it needs to be given under the supervision of an ophthalmologist and the problem is that you do not ahve insurance. In severe cases, oral steroids may have to be given. I hope it helps. Thanks.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hello Dr.Shariq,

Thanks for your response .

I am really confused to decide what should be my nest step ?

Does that mean I shouldn't apply any medication without the supervision of an ophthalmologist ?

Can you recommend a specific over the counter medicine or brand which I can buy from walgreens, Longs Drugs or Rite Aid ?

Please help me with the best proposed solution without any ambiguity.

Looking forward to hear back from you.

Best Regards,
-Gaj

P.S: I would really appreciate if you can mention the average time frame it may require to recover from this kind of sickness and is it curable without a doctor visit ?
Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 5 years ago.

The eye drop that should be used is Pred Acetate. There is no such time frame but if my diagnosis is correct then you should start feeling better within a week. Since, steroid eye drops are associated with side effects like cataract, glaucoma supervision by an ophthalmologist is required. He will keep monitoring the eye pressure which may get raised on this drop. Unfortunately, I can tell you the diagnosis and treatment but I can not arrange an ophthalmologist for you. Thanks.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hello Dr.Shariq,

I did some research for buying Pred Acetate, looks like I cannot buy it without a doctor prescrition in US.

Please suggest what should I do ?

Do I have to buy insurance and get a repscription from the doctor or is there anybody else from JustAnswer can help me out ?

I NEED HELP ASAP.

Looking forward to hear back from you.

Thanks,
-Gaj

P.S: If you can prescribe this medicine I should be able to buy it from the store, or please refer to some other doctor who can prescribe me this medicine.
Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 5 years ago.
To be on the safer side, you need to buy the insurance. There is no other way out. I hope you understand.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
At this point I need help with getting a prescription from a specialist so that I can go and by the http://www.drugs.com/pdr/prednisolone-acetate.html, please help .
Expert:  Dr. James replied 5 years ago.
Unfortunately, it is not legal for any doctors to prescribe medications online. I understand your difficulties without health insurance. I recommend you call around to different optometrists office. They will often have very reasonable cash rates (around $50-$100) for an office visit.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you Dr.James for your kind response and I really appreciate it.

Please point me to some organization or public hospitals if there is any where I can get my way in for a cheaper price tag.

please help ?

Looking forward to hear back from you.

Best Regards,
-Gaj

P.S: I am writing this post after calling about 7 Ophthalmologist office and not getting any success so far.
Expert:  Dr. James replied 5 years ago.

What is your zip code?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
95117
Expert:  Dr. James replied 5 years ago.
I recommend you call different optometry offices. Private ones will be more expensive than commercial places. I'm fairly sure that places such such as Costco will have very reasonable office prices. For Costco, you don't have to be a member to visit the optometrist.
Expert:  Dr. James replied 5 years ago.
If you are in need of ophthalmology care, then Santa Clara Valley Medical Center is there to help with non-insured patients. A non-urgent appointment however can be months away.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hello Dr. James After a lot of phone calls to the local doctors I couldn't find any affordable option, finally I went to meet with the closest costco facility and talked to the doctor.

I got the similar answer there and doctor said he cannot prescribe me any steroid medication without a proper eye exam.

After getting a reference from him I contacted another 2 doctors in local area and it turned out that I didn't have any other option but spend at least $200 to see a eye doctor.

I went to a doctor and turned out that the problem is totally different than what I was diagonised here in this Justanswer system.

Doctor recommended me to to use a eye drop called "Patanol" (Olopatadine hydrochloride solution).

At this point I am not sure if I can justify the payment for all the help I got from Justanswer experts .

Please advise...

Expert:  Dr. James replied 5 years ago.
I would trust the advice of the doctor who has examined and seen you in person. JustAnswer wants you to be satisfied with the answers you have received here. You can leave the $25 deposit there for a future question or request a refund if you do not intend to ask any other questions.

Best wishes.