Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist
8112280

i had a question about a week ago concerning a mole or freckle

Customer Question

i had a question about a week ago concerning a mole or freckle on my eye being melanmona which you answered me on that recently i hear that if it is melanoma then it could be already on brain is this possible or am i worring to much thank you
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stevens replied 7 years ago.
Hello there
I just reviewed your question and your situation. What further workup has the doctor suggested or is it just observation at this point?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

more of an observation i'm asking if it is melanmona would this also be on my brain getting feed back from other friends

Hello again
if you have been advised to have follow up, it is probably a nevus. But yes, say it was a melanoma and was large enough, it may have metastasized to other parts of the body such as liver, bone or brain. But it definitely seems this is not the case for you, Regards XXXXX
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
you answered my question if the mole on my eye was melanoman and it could spread to other parts of the body what test does one take to find out if it has spread again it is only an observation on my part.
Hello againCustomer
If I see someone with a large elevated pigmented retinal lesion that I think may be a melanoma, I typically refer the patient to the primary doctor for a metastatic workup. Typically, blood tests are the first thing and include CBC (complete blood count), electrolytes, calcium (can go up with bone destruction), liver function tests (elevation can mean liver metastasis), including ALT, AST, LDH. I also may order a CT scan of the head, chest and abdomen. If there is any concern, perhaps a bone scan can be done to see if there is metastasis to the skeletal system. This about covers it, I hope this helps, Dr. S