Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist
8112280

Can eye makeup or eye liner cause MACULAR DEGENERATION IN THE

Can eye makeup or eye liner cause MACULAR DEGENERATION IN THE EYES?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Singer replied 5 years ago.

No it will not cause macular degeneration. The cause is almost always nutritional deficiencies and can be well treated with IV nutrient therapy through a doctor from http://www.acam.org/. Thank you. Dr. Singer

Please click the green ACCEPT button if this information has been helpful and answered your questions.

Ask if you need clarification or more information.

Positive feedback is warmly appreciated.
You can give bonuses for what you feel is service and care above and beyond.
To direct future questions to me, start with singerdo

By accepting answers on this site I acknowledge and accept the following:
These answers are for educational purposes only.
Use of this site does not establish a doctor - patient relationship.
Information given and obtained on this site is not confidential.
Physical examination, a cornerstone of medical care is not possible on this website
and as such may lead to incorrect diagnosis and treatment.
Answers are based on your responses to physician queries. Witholding
information may lead to incorrect diagnosis and treatment.
Always consult with your own physician for the most accurate diagnosis and treatment.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Are you saying that MD can be cured with IV Nutrients?

I have it it one eye and I was told only lasser or injections into the eye could cure it.

I am concerned about my other eye and the Docors here in Florida claim they do not know of anything other than taking Preservision will help.

I do not mind only seeing out of one eye but I am going crazy thinking it could happen to my good eye.

I always had pretty good vision in the bad eye, but I was told I had cataracts. I had the surgery and then afterwards I developed MD. The Doctor told me that one thing had absolutely nothing to do with the other. He said Catarac Surgery could not cause MD,

but how come I only got MD DIRECTLY AFTER THE SURGERY?

My Doctor here in Florida will not tell me the truth because he is afraid of a law suit.

Expert:  lesivak replied 5 years ago.

HelloCustomer

I am sorry to intrude on your communication with another Expert, but I strongly disagree with his advice to you that MD can be cured by IV nutrients.

The tendency to get MD is often genetically inherited and MD can also be caused by traumatic disruption of the optic nerve. This would NOT occur during cataract surgery.

Please consult an Ophthalmologist in person and don't go with any on-line advice!!

I wish you the best.

Louise Sivak, M.D.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for your reply.

I cannot ask any Opthamologist here because they all stick up for each other.

It is just amazing to me that I had vision in my eye and DIRECTLY after surgery for the cataract, I had the BLACK DOT in the center of my eye and only had perifial vision in that eye.

My Doctor just doubletalked me and sent me on my way.

The Doctors in Florida are really bad.

I am just worried about my other eye.

Expert:  lesivak replied 5 years ago.
You can ask another Ophthalmologist, and that is what I suggest you do.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I thought I was asking my question to an OPTHAMOLOGIST.

Why isn't that kind of doctor answering my question?

Expert:  lesivak replied 5 years ago.

I will Opt Out so you can repost your question as you ask.

Please do not reply to my post and this will help your original information go through.

All Best,

Louise Sivak, M.D.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
How do I get to an Opthmologist?
Expert:  Dr. Stevens replied 5 years ago.
Hello there
I am an ophthalmologist and would like to respond if you are still online
Hello again
using eyeliner or makeup does not in any way relate to the formation of age-related macular degeneration (AMD). There are few things that are within your control when it comes to AMD, smoking, amount of UV exposure (outdoor exposure and use of UV sunglasses) and a poor diet to a certain degree. Rest of it is genetics and lastly advancing age. Treatment of dry AMD consists of oral anti-oxidants, such as ocuvite preservision. Treatment of wet AMD (bleeding kind) consists of medicine injections and laser treatments. I hope this helps and I apologize for the above confusion for some of the non- eye experts, Sincerely XXXXX
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for your excellent reply.

The only question that no one will answer is WHY did AMD happen ONLY ONE DAY AFTER the CATARAT SURGERY?

Interesting, do you care to tell me more? Like what did you notice day after surgery ? how long ago was that? what was the visual acuity before surgery and after and now?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Before surgery I was able to see out of both of my eyes, but I only use one eye because my eyes have been crossed since birth and nothing could be done for it when i was younger. About 10 years ago I questioned an Opthamologist about new techniques in Surgery and he said nothing was l00% guaranteed and I should do nothing.

I have been only using one eye for most of my life. I had the cataract surgery just to see if I could see better in that eye and if yes, i would do the good eye.

My glasses rx are 00=+3.00-0.75 X080 / ADD +2.75 OU

0S=+3.75-1.75X090

That was before surgery and the day after the surgery the left eye was the same and the right eye all I could read was the Large E . He told me to wait a while and I then saw him a few months later and he took tests on the retina and said it was AM D and the only way to treat it was with either injections in the eye or laser surgery.

I told him I wanted neither option and i left the office and will see him again in 4 months.

I do not mind that I cannot see in that eye because I actually never used it anyway.

My only REAL CONCERN is for my good eye which also has cataracts.

I will never have the surgery for the good eye because I am scared it will happen again and then I will really be blind.

I am taking baush and Lomb Preservision with Luten 2X a day.

I understand what happened, and can agree with your decision. One thing to remember is that sometimes, a cataract hides some AMD in the back of the eye and only after surgery does it become apparent that it was there in the first place. However, it is important to note that cataract surgery does cause inflammation and inflammation tends to advance any pre-existing AMD so that is indeed a possibility. It is possible that cataract surgery may bring on wet AMD in the good eye but it is a small risk and most of the time when my patients undergo cataract surgery, I add extra pre and post op drops to minimize inflammation and risk of AMD progression. I hope this answers your concerns, if not please let me know, Dr. Stevens
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

He claims I have dry AMD and gave me eye drops to use every day. He also gave me alot of pre op drops to use before surgery. Isn't there a way to see if AMD is pre-exsisiting?

Your answer was the first time anyone explained what happened.
Thank you so much for your informative response.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Are you going to respond to the question about seeing if A MD is lurking behind the retina?

If not I will accept and thank you very much for your responses.

Hello again
I was in surgery earlier. Anyhow, if you are going to have surgery in the good eye ever, I would recommend a flourescein angiogram to see if there is any beginnings of wet AMD before surgery and preop and postop topical drops to minimize AMD progression. Of course an uncomplicated surgery that is smooth will reduce the inflammation in the eye and reduce risk of APMD progression. Regards XXXXX
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience: Board Certified Ophthalmologist