Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon
25472284

left eye..entire L temporal bone from corner of eye to ear

For two years I have had increased swelling on my left eye lid (orbital) and have developed a Swelling along the entire L temporal bone from corner of eye to ear. Have had sinus surgery..no help. Now thee right eye is swelling. I have had a biopsy and two MRIs which showed a benign en plaque meningioma.
Five "experts" have not been able to tell me what is wrong. I am a type two diabetic and have type 1 hyperetension. Take medications for both. I think I may have myxedema, but thyroid test are all normal. Type 2 hypothyroidism? My ankles ar starting to swell a little. Recent Chem profile showed normal liver and kidney. What do you think--I am a 71 tear old male. Could it beangioedema?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 4 years ago.

I'm Dr. Stan, and will be assisting with your question.

I understand your frustration getting a definite diagnosis for your problem.

Please, may I ask what medications your are taking now, other than for diabetes and hypertension?

How is your vision in both eyes?

Do you see double? separately with either eye, or when you use both eyes?

After I recieve your answers I will evaluate and give you good information to help. Thanks.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I take 5 to 6 grams of vitamin C, High complex B, flonase spray, 0.05 mg/inh, one spray a day, Detrol 1 mg day, trilpix dr 135 mg cap, one a day, Ambien as needed 1- mg for sleep, lorazepam 0.5mg 1 tablet once a day and Mobic 7.5 mg 1 per day.

I have no double vision or any vision problems except glasses. I have no problems with walking, and HAVE NO HEADACHES

I have stenosis at L3,4,5 and S1.

Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your reply.

Although, your hypothyroidism complicated with mengioma may increased your risk of myxedema, it is unlikely that you are experiencing myxedema at this time. The signs of angioedema can look like those of myxedema, however, given your history, it is unlikely. There is no usual reason based on complaints and history that would suggest that you have anigoedema. Though your Kidney and liver function test appear normal, I hope the a nephrologist is involved in your management. With diabetes, hypertension, in addition to hypothyroidism, all of which can interact to worsen each other, a close monitor of the symptoms is needed at this time.

Based my analysis of the issues, it's most likely that the swelling of the ankles is a complication of the effects of diabetes and hypertension on the kidney - some kidney insufficiency. The swelling right area is most likely related to the hypothyroidism, a complication called Thyroid Ophthalmopathy. I suggest that you inform you doctors of these considerations. I trust that you will do well.

I hope that this information is helpful. If you agree, please click the ACCEPT button. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Does the possibility of intraosseous meningioma sound feasible? I have NOT been diagnosed with hypothyroidism, it is my guess. The swelling of ankles started recently. I do have an appointment with a neurosurgeon this thursday at KU Med Center! My eyes are fine, no headaches. Everyone is guessing...one would suspect that bone biopsy should be done on my temporal bone????
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 4 years ago.

My apologizes, I misse read your statement above to mean that you know for sure that you have hypothyroidism. In that case, the right swelling is most likely related to the mengioma. In general, primary intraosseous meningiomas are benign. Surgical resection and adjuvant radiation therapy are recommended when lesion is symptomatic and/or progressive. While they are benign for the most part, a biopsy is recommended with worsened symptoms as in your case. So, you should express such desire to the doctor when you meet. Best wishes.

Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience: Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon