Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist

I am presently taking Valtrex to control a shingles attack.

I am presently taking Valtrex to control a shingles attack. I only have one VERY small lesion on my forehead. However, the conjunctiva of my left eye is very red. I am wondering if I have the shingles virus growing in my left eye. I have been using Zylet in that eye since October 30th. The redness is NOT going away. How is a definitive diagnopsis made? If the shingles virus is in the eye what is the correct treatment?
Hello there
since you have an outbreak and are on valtrex, it is quite possible that the shingles is indeed in the eye. What you have (zylet) is a combination of steroid and antibiotic. Since you were on it in a tapering fashion, it is obvious that you still have inflammation. Your eye doc needs to see you again, if there is internal inflammation as I suspect there is, only a steroid at a larger dose (4x per day) is appropriate. If there is surface involvement, you may need to be on the antibotic or even an antiviral, but this usually has significant scratchiness associated. The diagnosis is made clinically, that is you have shingles on the skin near the eye and there are eye findings, then you have shingles in the eye. No eye culture is needed, though can be performed, but is unnecessary.