Dr.S Riaz
Dr.S Riaz, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS OPHTHALMOLOGY (KING GEORGES' MEDICAL UNIVERSITY, LUCKNOW, INDIA), FELLOWSHIP TRAINED
14102772

My wife is 61 years old. She has been diagnosed with Fuchs

My wife is 61 years old. She has been diagnosed with Fuchs Disease 10 years ago. Last night she felt kinda sick and got up and ate some oat meal. This caused her to vomit and then get the "Dry Heaves" She noticed a funny feeling on her eye lid and when she went and looked into the mirror her eye lid and eye area was very bruised. She has had minor brusing before but this is major brusing. We are getting an appointment at Marshfield Clinic asap hopefully tomorrow but wonder what you think might be the cause?

Thank you
Is the white part of the eye red?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No the significant brusing is above the eye on the eyelid and it is very purple and the skin tissue has overlapped. She can open the eye and there is no significant pain in the area of the eye socket
Your wife are likely to have a sub-conjunctival hemorrhage or an ecchymosis. Although its appearance may be alarming, a subconjunctival hemorrhage is generally a painless and harmless condition. The causes could be -

Minor eye trauma

increased venous pressure

Strenuous Exercising

Coughing

Vomiting

Sneezing

Blood dyscrasia (rare)

Severe hypertension

A severe episode of vomiting can also cause a sub-conjunctival hemorrhage. It is typically a self-limiting condition that requires no treatment in the absence of infection or significant trauma. At the most you can use a lubricating eye drop like Refresh Tears 3 times a day. Thanks.

Please, click the ACCEPT BUTTON so that I can get my dues. BONUS and a POSITIVE FEEDBACK will be appreciated.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The subconjunctive hemorrage definition by Medicine.Net says the Hemorrage of that type occurs in the eye and not the surrounding eye lid. All of my wifes brusing is on the eyelid and the eye ball is not bruised or does not have the blood in it.

It would be an ecchymosis. That is also bleeding into the sub-conjunctival space and might have been caused by the episode of vomiting. It's good that you have an appointment. It will be confirmed and it is not a cause of concern and will go away within a week or two. Warm compresses will help. Thanks.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
That is just a fancey name for a bruise, I want to know what is the cause for this bruising and why it happens. I know what happened I want to know why it happened.

It most commonly occurs due to trauma when bleeding occurs beneath the lid. Asevere episode of vomiting may also cause it. A bleeding dyscrasia or blood thinners may predispose to it. I hope it helps. Thanks.