Dr.S Riaz
Dr.S Riaz, Ophthalmologist

my vision..(as a flash will) by just closing my eyes for a few seconds

In the past 3-5 years I have been experiencing temporary vision impairment. When I am reading or working on my laptop (maybe also when watching TV?), the center of my vision is completely wiped out by a bright white circle of light - sort of like when a camera flash temporarily blinds you, only it lasts much longer and won't clear (as a flash will) by just closing my eyes for a few seconds. I can still see things in my peripheral vision field during these periods of blinding white light which last for about 30-60 minutes. I am 52, have been myopic since childhood, and have gone through the typical vision changes since early 40s (loss of ability to read small print). Is this something I should be worried about?

You must get a fundus examination to ensure that everything is fine. Myopics are more more prone to retinal taers and retinal detachments. Your symptoms could be because of a posterior vitreous detachment which is a normal ageing change. The vitreous gel in the posterior part of the eye liquifies with age and shrinks. As it shrinks, it may cause traction on the retina which may lead to flashes of light(not necessary) and floaters in the eye. Usually, it goes uneventful, but sometimes it amy cause a retinal tear which can lead to retinal detachment and serious loss of vision. So, a person with these symptoms must get a dilated fundus examination to rule out any retinal tear. A refractive error may also be present. Other less likely possibilities inclue ocular migraine and age related macular degeneration. Thanks.

Please, click the ACCEPT BUTTON so that I can get my dues. BONUS and a POSITIVE FEEDBACK will be appreciated