Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon
25472284

I have a raised spot on the white of my eye with redness around.

I have a raised spot on the white of my eye with redness around. After about a week it is now weeping,soar and itchy

I'm Dr. Stan, and will be assisting you with your question.

Few questions:

Which eye?

Any effect on your vision?

Do you have allergy? Recent cold/flu symptons?

Which part of the white part of the eye? toward the nose or toward the ear?

Other medical problems? Sarcoidosis? Lupus?

Taking any medications?

I await your reply. Thanks.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

graphicMy left eye. the white near the ear.

Not affecting my vision currently just sore, itchy and weepy

No allergy or cold/flu symptons

No medical problems or medications

I will try and attach a picture of it - basically it is like a pimple in the eye. If you don't get the photo (it is 3mb) I could email it to you direct?

Thanks

Claire

graphic

It appears that you have episcleritis. This inflammation of the conjunctiva is common in young women. It involves mild irritation with redness. The cause is not well understood, but it may be associated with connective tissue problem or reaction to connective tissue of the conjunctiva, but rarely serious. When it re-occurs, then a system connective tissue problem may be likely.

It often presents as a bright red patch just under the bulbar conjunctiva (simple episcleritis), just as in the image you sent. It may present as a hyperemic (weeping), edematous (slightly swollen), raised nodule (called nodular episcleritis).

The condition is self-limited, and a diagnostic assessment for systemic disorders is not routinely done, except when it re-occurs. A topical corticosteroid (eg, prednisolone acetate 1% drop) is used by the eye doctor to treat that problem. Other nonsteroidal drops like acular can also be used during the taper of prednisolone drop. Tear drops would be used to keep the eye lubricated as needed. Other conditions that needs to be excluded are, infection, foreign body, allergic reaction and connective tissue disorder. So, I would suggest that you follow-up with you eye doctor for an examination of this eye lesion under the silt-lamp machine. I trust that you will do well.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

As it has has a raised bit I think it is the nodular episcleritis. I did go to the doctor before but I forgot what they called it and fancied a second opinion. He just recommended tear drops if I needed them and anti-inflamatory tablets if I wanted them. How long do you think it should take to clear up before I revisit the doctor?

It usual would take few weeks. The anti-inflammatory drops and tablets (NSAID) will help it clear faster. Yes, I think you likely have the nodular episcleritis. I would suggest you go back and get the anti-inflammatory drops and tablets. Thanks again. Good night.