Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon

I woke up Friday morning with a very bloody looking left eye

I woke up Friday morning with a very bloody looking left eye in the white part of the eye. It improved very slightly during the day. Then on Saturday morning it looked worse again. I do take several supplements including Billberry 1000 mg., which might thin the blood. Is this anything serious or just a broken blood vessel that will clear up eventually?

Do you have any change in vision?
Any pain?
Any double vision?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No change in vision or pain. Sometimes it feels different, but no real problem.
You likely have a subconjunctival hemorrhage. This happens when delicate blood vessels of the conjunctiva (clear covering of the eye) burst. This is very similar to a bruise, but redder because there is no skin overyling the blood. The bleeding is usually the result of minor trauma such as coughing or eye rubbing.

Similar to a bruise, subconjunctival hemorrhage may take 1-2 weeks to reabsorb and go away. During that time, it may darken and change colors. That is expected and no need to worry. Worrisome symptoms are pain, decrease vision, or double vision. You should contact your ophthalmologist promptly if these occur.

So, no need to worry now. Just give it some time and it should clear.

Remember to press the green accept button. It was a pleasure helping you with your question. Best wishes to you. Feel free to ask any additional questions.