Dr.S Riaz
Dr.S Riaz, Ophthalmologist

My suspects that she has a retinal detachment (sudden appearance

My suspects that she has a retinal detachment (sudden appearance of floaters, heaviness in the eye). She is travelling and has gone to the emergency room in Valdosta GA. The on-call opthamologist is not answering his phone. Is there anything else that can be done. It is Saturday night.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 6 years ago.

Hello Customer,

Retinal tear may have occured but a posterior vitreoes detachment(PVD) is more likely. PVD is a normal ageing change. The vitreous gel in the posterior part of the eye liquifies with age and shrinks. As it shrinks, it may cause traction on the retina which may lead to flashes of light(not necessary) and floaters in the eye. Usually, it goes uneventful, but sometimes it amy cause a retinal tear which can lead to retinal detachment and serious loss of vision. So, a person with these symptoms must get a dilated fundus examination to rule out any retinal tear. Thanks.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
How much time does my mother have to get this checked out? What time frame are we talking about here? The "on-call" opthamologist is not answering his phone. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 6 years ago.

You should see a retinal specialist in two to three days, the sooner the better. Thanks.