Dr.S Riaz
Dr.S Riaz, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS OPHTHALMOLOGY (KING GEORGES' MEDICAL UNIVERSITY, LUCKNOW, INDIA), FELLOWSHIP TRAINED
14102772

I have had this rash type skin disorder around my eyes, specifically

I have had this rash type skin disorder around my eyes, specifically the eyelids and under the eyes. As I have gotten older, they seem to becoming a lot more aggressive. I have alpha thalassaemia and I was thinking that it could be something I am lacking in my diet. Please help, this is becoming embarassing
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 7 years ago.
Do you have any dryness, itching, burning or watering from the eyes?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No, the rash is not itching or burning and no watering to the eyes
Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 7 years ago.

You could be having mild meibomitis which is nothing but inflammation of the glands present on the lid margins. This is a very common condition. Due to this, the tear film is defective and may lead to dryness. This may cause redness, dryness, itching and even burning in severe meibomitis(in mild disease, these symptoms may be absent). Warm compresses and frequent instillation of a preservative free lubricating eye drop like Refresh Tears helps a lot. An oral anti-biotoc course of Doxycycline for 2 weeks is very helpful (since you are likely to have mild meibomitis, it is not required).

I don't think the rash is due to thallasmia but it could be due to iron chelation therapy, if you are on it. It is seen in about 5% of cases. For mild to moderate skin rashes, defrasirox may be continued without dose adjustment, since the rash often resolves spontaneously. For more severe rashes, interruption of treatment may be necessary. You can discuss it with your doctor but first you need to confirm the diagnosis by seeing an ophthalmologist. Thanks.

Please, click the ACCEPT BUTTON so that I can get my dues. BONUS and a POSITIVE FEEDBACK will be appreciated.