Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist

I recently had cataract surgery on my left eye....six weeks

I recently had cataract surgery on my left eye....six weeks ago. Now I have an enlarged pupil and see poorly unless I'm wearing dark glasses. I also have a bright reflection on images on the right side of the eye. This reflection is severe from headlights when driving at night. I cannot read with my left eye and still see poorly at a distance. Is there help for me?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stevens replied 6 years ago.
do you know your visual acuity at this time? Was the vision ever good after surgery? if not is it slowly getting better? regarding the large pupil, did you have a small pupil to begin with, perhaps one that needed stretching during the surgery? Dr. Stevens
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I think visual acuity is probably 20/70. The vision was not good before surgery due to a repaired macular hole. The hole was repaired in 2008. It was thought that the vision would imprive if the cataract was removed. The cataract surgery was just short of a disaster as a piece of the cataract lens fell back into the vitreous. A week later I had a victrectomy to have the lens removed. The surgery was successful. When the cataract surgery was performed, a TECHNIS lens was inserted. The pupil has always been normal before this.

Hello there
anytime a previous retinal surgery is done as in a macular hole repair, the chances of surgical complications goes up. It sounds like you had a dropped cataract nucleus into the vitreous and typically, recovery of vision is quite slow. You may even have corneal edema still at this point as well as some macular edema. Typically long term use of prednisolone and anti-inflammatory medicine like acular helps reduce corneal swelling and macular swelling and the vision may improve. At this point glare may be from corneal swelling or the lens not being perfectly centered. I am not sure if I answered what you were looking for but if I have not, please reply back and I can try to address it, Regards XXXXX