Dr.S Riaz
Dr.S Riaz, Ophthalmologist

I have had a sty in the coner of my right eye for about 2 and

I have had a sty in the coner of my right eye for about 2 and a half weeks. Went to eye doc who suggested warm cloths, using doxycycline if it wasn't budging, and drainage if needed. I have been faithful with cloths and it was shrinking a little, tried the doxy to move it along but got joint pain and dizziness and stopped that. I have been through chemo this summer so I did not want to deal with more feeling bad if I can help it! PCP called in Keflex if I want it and said keep using acidopholus, but added sometimes these can take a long while. She said after maybe 8 weeks she might suggest the drainage. I do not want that either if I can avoid it. Any idea? Keep doing cloths? Try the Keflex? Hate use of antib. unless really needed for a definite infection. My eye looks good, does not hurt. Thanks. I am ok to keep being patient or to use an antibiotic if it seem necessary.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 6 years ago.

Hello toivo 1,

It does not look like a stye. It seems to be a chalazion. Most of the time a chalazion does not go with conservative management. A very minor surgical procedure called incision and curretage is done and is usually curative. Chalazion is painless whereas stye is usually painful and does not last for this lonh. You can wait for a few weeks to see whether it goes on this treatment or not and then can go for incision and curretage. It won't cause harm. Sometimes, it may go but is a little unlikely. Thanks.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks. Just wondering---would you even recommend using the antibiotic? I don't like doing that unless I really need it but the eye doc saod sometimes this can move it along.
Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 6 years ago.

Oral antibiotic is not needed. Just do warm compresses and a topical antibiotic eye ointment like tetracycline at bed time. Thanks.