Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

My 17 year old sons right pupil is larger than his left one.

Customer Question

My 17 year old son's right pupil is larger than his left one. I have never seen that before. On Monday he was conditioning for baseball and he was exposed to heat. When he got home he collapsed passed out and started shaking. When he came to he was still shaking. I was not home to see what happened, I only know this from what he told me. Please tell me what it means and what can I do about it. This morning he appeared fine but the pupil is still larger than the other.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 7 years ago.

My name isXXXXX will be assisting you today.

Few questions:

During the conditioning did he fall, or accidental injured himself in anyway?

If you shine a bright-pointed light such as from flash light does his pupils constrict?

Any headaches? nausea? vomiting? fever? Is urination okay? any change in the color of urine? Any medical problem? any medication? history of seizure in the past? what is he weight/height?

After I receive the answer to these questions, I will evaluate question well and give you good information to assist you. Thank.

Edited by Dr. Stan on 11/5/2009 at 12:38 PM EST
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am unable to answer all questions. My son will be home from school after 4:00 p.m., then I will able to answer all questions above.
Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 7 years ago.

Thank you. In the meantime, I suggest that he should not condition for baseball at least for today until the issues are sort out. You do want to exacerbate the situation. I await your reply today. Please, also find out if baseball accidental struck him on the head?

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.

Edited by Dr. Stan on 11/5/2009 at 1:06 PM EST