Dr. JP
Dr. JP, Ophthalmology, Oculoplastic Surgery
Experience:  Harvard Medical School, Massachussetts Eye and Ear

i have had an eye infection for 4 months now ive been throu

i have had an eye infection for 4 months now ive been throu 5 different types of perscribed eye treatments and nothing is getting rid of it. its gunky red and puffy.. what can i do to try and fix it
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. JP replied 6 years ago.

Hi I'm Dr. JP. Here to help you with your question? Can you give me more information about the eye infection?

-one eye or both?

-eyelids, eyeball surface (conjuctiva or cornea), inside the eyeball, or in the orbit (around the eyeball)?

-what were the names of the antibiotics you werer using?

-were the antibiotics ointments or pills?

Edited by Dr. JP on 11/4/2009 at 11:31 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
its my left eye. and the eye ball and the inside of the eye lid are red and there is alot of gunk in my eye all day. every morning i wake up and my eye is glued shut. ive already been told it cant be conjunktavitus ( excuse the spelling )
Expert:  Dr. JP replied 6 years ago.

Let me see if I understand correctly.

You have left eyelid, conjuctival infection for over 4 months that has never been in the right eye. You wake up with crusted over eyelids every morning. You've tried several therapies but not getting the results.

medications used previously?

eye pain?

vision decreased significantly?

do you wear contact lenses?

have you recently had surgery on the eye?

any recent eye trauma?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes that is correct.
my eye has no pain and yes my vision has gotten worse i have no contact lenses no eye surgery and no eye trauma
i have used chlorisgig ointment and maidex eye drops and soframycin eye drops
Expert:  Dr. JP replied 6 years ago.

how long have you been using these three eye drops?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i had a repeat of the soframcyn and the maxidex and i used them 4 times a day as perscribed untill they ran out and i used the chlorasig at night time untill it ran out as well.
Expert:  Dr. JP replied 6 years ago.

how many days have you been off of the medication?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
a good month or so now. i used them all and it didnt affect or help my eye at all.
Expert:  Dr. JP replied 6 years ago.

are u still using them?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no i havnt been using any treatments for about a month. its comming up to 5 months that this infection has been in my eye
Expert:  Dr. JP replied 6 years ago.

Any other symptoms outside the eye? For example swollen glands under the jaw, fevers, flu like symptoms, etc?

Expert:  Dr. JP replied 6 years ago.
have you seen an ophthalmologist or did you see an optometrist?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no no other symptoms just the eye, and i did go to an ophthalomolgist i got refered to them by my gp after about 1 month of the infection
Expert:  Dr. JP replied 6 years ago.

This is a difficult case without having the priveledge of examining you. My first thought would be allergic reaction the to medications. The medications you mentioned are notorious for causing chronic inflamation, and matting of the eyelids in the mornings. If you were having pain I'd think you have a residual condition after an acute conjuctivitis know as subepithelial infiltrates. That being said, you've been of the medications for one month and the symptoms should have resolve in that time span. You age is awefully young to be having unilateral chronic blepharitis, however atypical case can occur. The most worrisome thing to have in an unrelenting unilateral inflamation of the lid would be a carcinoma of the meibomian gland. I think this would be highly unlikey given your age. I highly recommend you go back to the ophthalmologist so he/she can do another full ocular examination to see what is going on. This is concerning for several reasons, the unilaterality of the symptoms and the length of time. I wish I could be of more help but I can stress enough the importance of another exam by the previous eye doctor or getting a second opinion.

Wishing you well,

Dr. JP