Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon

My g/f and I usually leave our contacts in while we sleep.

My g/f and I usually leave our contacts in while we sleep. We leave them in too long that we sometimes get eye ulsers. I learned my lesson the hard way.

In any case I was prescribed vigamox(moxifloxacin hydrocloride ophthalmic solution 0.5% as base 3mL), which I was told was fairly new at the time. I didn't trust it, so I let my eye heal on its own and luckily it did.

Today my g/f called in because her left eye is hurting. I can see three white spots close together. I would like her to go see a doctor but she refuses. So, she wants to use the vigamox I was prescribed. However, it says it expired in june of 08, but she thinks it just means it less potent.

Since I cannot force her to go see a doctor, should I allow her to use the vigamox or just let her eyes rest and get oxygen?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 6 years ago.
Corneal ulcers can get very severe fast. You have been fortunate for it to heal on its own. Though I understand your situation, it is difficult to mention anything but seeing an eye doctor for evaluation and treatment. The medicine is one part of it, the second part is making sure things are improving. This can only be done by an eye doctor.

Best wishes.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for your expedited response.

we understand that as a physician, it is important to mention seeing a doctor for evalution, so I will keep bugging her to go see a doctor

however, her focus is on the expired Vigamox,
If she does take it, can it further damage to her eye, or will it just not have much effect/potency?

If so, then she will wait a day, then go.
Expert:  Dr. James replied 6 years ago.
Regarding expired medication, if after the expiration date, the effectiveness is not guaranteed. Just as with the date on milk, it can still be good after the expiration date, but the chances of it being bad is higher.

So, the potency is likely less, but how this relates to the effectiveness on an infection is unknown.

Expert:  Dr. James replied 6 years ago.
I'd like to add, if the bottle of Vigamox was opened, the chance for contamination is higher. If sealed, the sterility of the bottle would allow for it to last longer.