Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

what does a POSITIVE ANGLER GRID mean

what does a "POSITIVE ANGLER GRID"mean?

Is this for yourself or for someone else?
Are you referring to an AMSLER grid?
Does it look something like this? http://www.stlukeseye.com/EyeQ/AmslerPrint.htm
Any problems with vision in the 11 year old girl?

Edited by Dr. James on 11/4/2009 at 12:05 AM EST
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thank you so much for your attention to my question. Yes, it must be amsler grid. This is my reason for the question. My daughter, Faith is 11 y.o. She has been complaining of eye problems for the last month or so. Her sx's are blurry words when reading either the chalkboard or reading from her textbooks, eye "pain", headache. So, I had her see an optometrist last week. His findings were that she had "healthy eyes" however he wanted me to follow up with our family doctor regarding his findings. He wanted to r/o compression tumor of the retina? My family doctor received his report, but she really didn't understand what the optometrist's concerns were. She said something about "positive amsler grid" in his report but didn't really know what that meant. So, she said I should follow up with an opthalmologist to further investigate my daughter's symptoms. So, that is why I found this website and thought maybe I should ask a professional. Just found this info out today. Any suggestions? Should I be concerned? -Tara-

An AMSLER grid tests the integrity of the central vision. If you look at the grid yourself and do the test, you should see all the boxes and central dot. In some people, some boxes can be missing or lines are not quite straight, representing blindspots or swelling of the retina.

A positive AMSLER grid means your daughter did not report the boxes to be all there or the lines were not all straight. Brain tumor would not be my first thought. I agree that an ophthalmologist referral is appropriate. The next step would be a visual field test. At 11 years old, I think your daughter should be able to perform this test without a problem.

Remember to press the green ACCEPT button. It was a pleasure helping you with your question. Best wishes to you. Feel free to ask any additional questions.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thank you so much for you time and expertise! I'm a nurse so I know how precious your time is. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX! Will definitely follow up with one of our local opthalmologists.

Sincerely,

Tara

You're welcome. If you have additional questions, feel free to ask. Best wishes to you and your daughter. Smile