Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon

The child was diagnosed as having retinopathy of prematurity

The child was diagnosed as having retinopathy of prematurity in both eyes with total retinal detachment
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 6 years ago.

When was the last time your child was examined?
Is your question regarding the need for surgery?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
my child was last time examined was October 26, 2009, monday.
my question regarding surgery, will it helpful to have vision slightly, when we are going for surgery, is this surgery is possible doctor, please advice me.

thanks & regards
Expert:  Dr. James replied 6 years ago.

Retinopathy of prematurity is grouped into different stages from 1 to 5. Stage 4 and 5 involves retinal detachment. Once the retina is detached, the potential vision is guarded. It appears your child's retinal detachment are very advanced. Since surgery was attempted in the right eye already with poor results, your doctors are hesitant to perform surgery on the left eye.

Surgery must be proceded with very cautiously. It should be attempted only if your doctors think your child may gain some useful vision. The duration of the detachment and any scar tissue that has already developed are used to assess the surgical potential. I would agree with your doctors that the visual potential would be poor, even with repeat surgery. Your child may benefit from a second opinion from another surgeon who's able a to examine your child and make a determination after that.

Remember to press the green ACCEPT button. It was a pleasure helping you with your question. Best wishes to you. Feel free to ask any additional questions.