Dr.S Riaz
Dr.S Riaz, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS OPHTHALMOLOGY (KING GEORGES' MEDICAL UNIVERSITY, LUCKNOW, INDIA), FELLOWSHIP TRAINED
14102772

I have RA and according to the doctors it has attacked my eye

I have RA and according to the doctors it has attacked my eye (iritis). One year and 5 months later, the eye doc is still trying to figure out how to keep my eye pressure within normal ranges and how to keep the redness and pain out. I'm on Remicade and Methotrexate and my eye has been okay for a couple of months, but I'm now right back where I started and I'm not getting any answers. My vision (in the bad eye) has been impacted and I'm terrified of more or long-term damage. Help.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 4 years ago.

HelloCustomer/p>

It's very important that you get treatment for rheumatoid arthritis. If the rheumatoid activity is kep under control then it is going to help your eyes as well. There are many ways in which rheumatoid arthritis can affect the eyes. To read about it you can follow this link - http://www.ehow.com/way_5510351_eye-problems-rheumatoid-arthritis.html

Both iritis and glaucoma are associated with rheumatoid arthritis. Iritis needs to be treated with steroids and glaucoma needs pressure lowering drugs. Besides this I also believe that you would be having dryness in your eyes both because of rheumatoid arthritis and anti-glaucoma drugs causing redness in eyes. For this you need to use lubricating eye drops. You need treatment not only treatment for eye problems but also the rheumatoid activity is to be kept under control which will benefit your eyes as well. For this you need to consult your physician again. Take care.

Please, click the ACCEPT BUTTON so that I can get my dues. BONUS and a POSITIVE FEEDBACK will be appreciated.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I see my rheumatologist monthly and trust me, I am getting treated for RA like you wouldn't believe. The rest of my body is responding incredibly well and RA is under control, with the exception of the eye.

I was seeing the eye doc weekly for 6 months, then we dropped to monthly - so I'm monitored in this aspect as well (we are now at montly visits, bumped to weekly as needed#.

I was on high doses of prednisolone for 4 months last year #to drop the initial high pressure when the problem was first diagnosed).

I need to know what my team of doctors is missing. Everything is being done like clockwork and my eye was okay for a few months, but we've gone backwards big time over the last two weeks. What are we missing?
Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 4 years ago.
Well, an examination is a must to say that but I can tell you that it is very difficult at times to manage eye problems in RA. Not only that you also have to see the long term adverse effects od steroids as they can lead to glaucoma. Besides dryness in eyes add to a person's suffering. You can see another ophthamologist in person for a second opinion. I hope you understand that I can not be of much help without examining you. Thanks.
Dr.S Riaz, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MS OPHTHALMOLOGY (KING GEORGES' MEDICAL UNIVERSITY, LUCKNOW, INDIA), FELLOWSHIP TRAINED