Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

i am 34 years male lost my vision only at the left end of my

i am 34 years male lost my vision only at the left end of my left eye for around one hour. iwas ot not able to see the left side of any item infont of me but the rest of the vision was ok. can yo explain to me what happened and what is my condition
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.

Are you still needing assistance?
Is your vision still affected?
Do you have any weakness or numbness in your extremities?
Has this happen before?
Is the vision loss in one eye or both eyes?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

yes still need asistance. i need to know what could possibly caused this and what should happen next

my vision is back to normal again in 1 hour however i am concerned that this could be a sign for something else hidden

not felt any numbness or weekness

this happened for the first time

it is in one eye (left one)

Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.
The symptom you are describing suggestive of something called amaurosis fugax. This is cause by plaques in your carotid artery flaking off small bits into the blood stream. When it travels into the eye, it temporarily impedes blood flow and causes the loss of vision. This same process can happpen if pieces go to your brain and impedes blood flow to specific parts of the brain, causing numbness, weakness, slurred speech. In this case, it is called a TIA (transient ischemia attack).

The symptoms are concerned because it can lead to a stroke. You are very young for a stroke or significant plaque buildup in your arteries, but this is something that needs to be evaluated considering your hour long loss of vision. I'd recommend you see your ophthalmologist and primary care doctor for evaluation.

If you have a repeat episode, numbness, tingling, weakness in your extremities or slurred speech, this can be signs of a stroke and you should call 911 and seek emergency care.

Remember to press the green ACCEPT button. It was a pleasure helping you with your question. Best wishes to you. Feel free to ask any additional questions.