Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon

Hi, I have a film like substance on my eyeball, which is also

Customer Question

Hi, I have a film like substance on my eyeball, which is also quite bloodshot. Earlier today I noticed it felt like a bobble when I closed my eye and when I looked at it in the mirror I can see that the film has a slightly raised point.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 6 years ago.
The film you feel can be from dry eyes. I recommend using over the counter artificial tears 4-6 times a day. I also recommend starting on warm compresses of your eyelids. This will help soften the plugged oil glands of your eyelids. After the warm compresses, you can use dilute baby shampoo in warm water, scrub the bases of your eyelashes with the pads of your fingers twice a day.

At night, you can use an eye ointment to prevent it from drying out, also available over the counter. If the swelling is persistent despite this treatment or worsening, I recommend you visit with an optometrist or ophthalmologist for evaluation.

Remember to press the green accept button. It was a pleasure helping you with your question. Best wishes to you. Feel free to ask any additional questions.