Dr.S Riaz
Dr.S Riaz, Ophthalmologist

Yesterday morning I noticed a pinkish color under my left eye

Customer Question

Yesterday morning I noticed a pinkish color under my left eye and by the evening had started to swell. This morning I woke up and it has swelled even more and still has the pinkish color to it. As of now there is no pain or itching and I can't really tell if it is getting worse (it feels like it is). Should I get to a doctor right away?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 6 years ago.
It is most liKely to be a sub-conjunctival hemorrhage. Although its appearance may be alarming, a subconjunctival hemorrhage is generally a painless and harmless condition. Had it been a pink eye there would have been watering, swelling, irritation etc. The causes of a sub-conjunctival hemorrhage could be -

Minor eye trauma

increased venous pressur

Strenuous Exercising

Blood dyscrasia (rare)

Severe hypertension

A subconjunctival hemorrhage is typically a self-limiting condition that requires no treatment in the absence of infection or significant trauma. At the most you can use a lubricating eye drop like Refresh Tears 3 times a day. Thanks.

Please, click the ACCEPT BUTTON so that I can get my dues. BONUS and a POSITIVE FEEDBACK will be appreciated.
Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 6 years ago.
Do you have any more questions?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I looked up this condition and it doesn't seem to coincide with my problem. It says that it is when a blood vessel is broken or ruptured and redness overcomes the eyeball. I do not have that - the area under my eye is swollen and pink not the actual eye.
Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 6 years ago.
You mean to say that your eye is not red?
Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 6 years ago.
Well, I think I misunderstood your question. The lid swelling could be due to an allergic reaction. The other possibility is an orbital cellulitis which is a serious issue and is an ophthalmological emergency. Though an allergic reaction is more likely but cellulitis needs to be ruled out. So, you should see a doctor preferably an ophthalmologist. Thanks.