Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

it feeling like something is in my eye then when I open it

it feeling like something is in my eye then when I open it it only opens half way or it will not open at all. This lasts for about 1 to 2 minutes and then it goes back to normal.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.

Do you think the foreign body sensation and inability to open your eyes are related?
Do you have any irritation in your eyes?
Have you seen an eye doctor for this complaint?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I was at the eye doctor friday there is nothing in my eye he give me something for. Dry eyes.
Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.

Often times, dry eyes will give you a sensation that something is in it or feel like sand is in it. In reality, there is no foreign body in it. The artificial tears should help. Dry eyes can also make your eyes feel heavy, tired, or difficult to open at times.

If you have a droopy eyelid or you difficulty opening them, it can be a sign of neurologic disease such as myasthenia gravis. This is where your body makes antibodies that affects the nerve transmittion to the muscles. The weakness and eyelid droopiness can resolve with rest. This doesn't seem to be the case with you as your difficulty opening your eyes is likely due to dry eyes.

Continue to use the artificial tears 4-6 times a day. See your eye doctor if symptoms are worsening.

Remember to press the green ACCEPT button. It was a pleasure helping you with your question. Best wishes to you. Feel free to ask any additional questions.